Brigham Younger Cougars guard Spencer Johnson (20) reaches out to attempt to foul Gonzaga Bulldogs guard Joel Ayayi (11) as BYU and Gonzaga play within the finals of the West Coast Convention match on the Orleans Area in Las Vegas on Tuesday, March 9, 2021. Gonzaga received 88-78. (Scott G Winterton, Deseret Information)
Estimated learn time: 4-5 minutes
PROVO — Convention play is within the books, at the least within the West Coast Convention. Subsequent cease: Las Vegas.
So the place did BYU land?
The Cougars drew a No. 5 seed and can tip off the match Friday on the Orleans Area in Las Vegas towards the winner of Loyola Marymount and Pacific. It is the lowest seed BYU has drawn in its decade within the convention after the Cougars completed with a 21-9 document that features a 9-6 mark in league play.
Gonzaga earned the No. 1 seed after ending with a 13-1 document, its solely loss coming Saturday at Saint Mary’s within the last recreation of the common season and one in every of seven groups within the high 9 nationally to lose over the weekend. The Gaels will take the No. 2 seed, with each advancing on to Monday’s match semifinals.
“We get to go play Friday, and that is not an area we have occupied, possibly ever,” BYU coach Mark Pope stated after Saturday’s regular-season house finale towards Pepperdine. “However proper now for us, we have simply needed to discover a approach to win a recreation. That is been our place for the final month.
“I do like our pattern, I like our momentum, and I believed our defensive effort — particularly within the backcourt — has been terrific.
The Cougars have been “actively, aggressively” searching for a make-up nonconference recreation — one that will’ve been a Quad 1 recreation, seemingly on the street — previous to the tip of the common season. However Sunday’s draw, giving BYU a possible Quad 1 quarterfinal towards San Francisco on Saturday, might need cooled these talks. BYU would seemingly have to schedule the sport by Sunday evening to be able to make it occur, Pope instructed reporters final week.
For the second yr in a row, the WCC partnered with Ken Pomeroy to develop a mannequin of adjusted successful share based mostly on the uneven variety of video games performed throughout the convention. That mannequin left Santa Clara with the No. 3 seed after ending 10-5, a half recreation forward of San Francisco with an adjusted successful share of .673 to USF’s .655.
BYU completed fifth at .595, adopted by Portland at .429. San Diego, LMU, Pacific and Pepperdine spherical out the sphere.
On the ladies’s facet, BYU stormed to the WCC regular-season title with a 15-1 document in league play and simply out-distancing second-place Gonzaga in adjusted successful share, .921 to .870. The Cougars will advance on to Monday’s semifinals, the place they may face the winner of fourth-seeded Portland’s quarterfinal towards Saint Mary’s, Pepperdine or LMU.
It is the primary regular-season title for the reason that 2015-16 season for head coach Jeff Judkins and BYU, who’ve received simply two regular-season crowns since becoming a member of the convention in 2011.
“That is huge for our program to have the ability to win this convention,” Judkins stated after wrapping up the regular-season title Saturday. “Gonzaga’s received it so a few years, and it is good for us to have the ability to go win it.
“We actually need to win that match, go into the NCAA Match with a excessive, and begin taking part in our greatest basketball.”
All video games by way of the lads’s quarterfinals and ladies’s finals might be on the WCC Community and BYUtv. Tuesday’s girls’s last will air on ESPNU, with the lads’s last scheduled for 7 p.m. MST on ESPN.
This is a whole have a look at each tournaments:
Thursday, March 3
- Ladies’s Sport 1: No.8 Pepperdine vs. No. 9 LMU, 1 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Ladies’s Sport 2: No. 7 Santa Clara vs. No. 10 Pacific, 3 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Males’s Sport 1: No. 8 LMU vs. No. 9 Pacific, 7 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Males’s Sport 2: No. 7 San Diego vs. No. 10 Pepperdine, 9 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
Friday, March 4
- Ladies’s Sport 3: No. 5 Saint Mary’s vs. Sport 1 winner, 1 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Ladies’s Sport 4: No. 6 San Diego vs. Sport 2 winner, 3 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Males’s Sport 3: No. 5 BYU vs. Sport 1 winner, 7 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Males’s Sport 4: No. 6 Portland vs. Sport 2 winner, 9 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
Saturday, March 5
- Ladies’s Sport 5: No. 4 Portland vs. Sport 3 winner, 2:30 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Ladies’s Sport 6: No. 3 San Francisco vs. Sport 4 winner, 4:30 p.m. MST (BYUtv/WCC Community)
- Males’s Sport 5: No. 4 San Francisco vs. Sport 3 winner, 8:30 p.m. MST (ESPN2)
- Males’s Sport 6: No. 3 Santa Clara vs. Sport 4 winner (ESPN2)
Monday, March 7
- Ladies’s Sport 7: No. 1 BYU vs. Sport 5 winner, 1 p.m. MST (BYUtv)
- Ladies’s Sport 8: No. 2 Gonzaga vs. Sport 6 winner, 3 p.m. MST (BYUtv)
- Males’s Sport 7: No. 1 Gonzaga vs. Sport 5 winner, 7 p.m. MST (ESPN)
- Males’s Sport 8: No. 2 Saint Mary’s vs. Sport 6 winner, 9:30 p.m. MST (ESPN2)
Tuesday, March 8
- Ladies’s championship, 2 p.m. MST (ESPNU)
- Males’s championship, 7 p.m MST (ESPN)