Transfer comes as United Nations Basic Meeting is holding its first emergency session over ongoing battle in Ukraine.
- US pronounces plans to expel 12 Russian diplomats from nation’s UN mission in New York.
- UN Basic Meeting holds emergency assembly on Ukraine.
- ICC prosecutor says he plans to launch investigation into alleged warfare crimes, crimes towards humanity in Ukraine.
- Excessive-level talks between Kyiv and Moscow finish with no settlement besides to maintain speaking.
- US, UK, EU, Canada impose sanctions on Russia’s central financial institution.
- Civilian demise toll now stands at 352 folks, together with 14 youngsters, Ukraine’s well being ministry says.
- Greater than 500,000 folks have fled Ukraine since Russian invasion started, UN says.
- FIFA and UEFA droop Russia from worldwide soccer.
Listed below are the most recent updates:
US to expel 12 Russian diplomats from UN mission
America has introduced plans to expel 12 Russian diplomats from Moscow’s mission to the United Nations in New York.
In a press release on Monday, the US mission to the UN mentioned it had began the method of expelling the diplomats for “participating in espionage actions which can be hostile to our nationwide safety”. It described the diplomats as “intelligence operatives”.
Denouncing the US transfer as “hostile”, Russia’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia informed reporters the diplomats had been requested to depart by March 7.
ICC pronounces plans to launch investigation
The Worldwide Felony Court docket (ICC) prosecutor says he plans to launch an investigation into the continuing Russian invasion of Ukraine, saying there’s a “affordable foundation” to imagine that warfare crimes have taken place.
Karim A A Khan mentioned the probe would look into alleged crimes dedicated by “any celebration to the battle on any a part of the territory of Ukraine”, including that his workplace will proceed with the investigation “as quickly as attainable”.
“I’m glad that there’s a affordable foundation to imagine that each alleged warfare crimes and crimes towards humanity have been dedicated in Ukraine,” Khan mentioned in a press release.
Banning Russian flights is just not off the desk: White Home
The White Home mentioned barring Russian flights over america is just not off the desk however there had not been a choice made on the matter.
“No possibility is off the desk,” White Home Press Secretary Jen Psaki informed reporters. Psaki famous there are plenty of US airways that fly over Russia to get to Asia and different components of the world. “We consider a variety of things,” she mentioned.
EU slaps 26 extra Russians with sanctions
The European Union has imposed sanctions on 26 extra Russians, together with oligarchs, senior officers and an power insurance coverage firm, bringing the whole of individuals focused to 680.
EU headquarters mentioned these listed embrace “oligarchs and businessmen lively within the oil, banking and finance sectors”, authorities officers, high navy brass and “propagandists who contributed to unfold anti-Ukrainian propaganda and promote a constructive perspective in the direction of the invasion of Ukraine”.
Welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the Ukraine-Russia disaster.
Learn all of the updates from Monday, February 28, right here.