The official title of District President within the Saxon Civil Service Act (SächsBG) was modified to President of the State Directorate by Article 7 of the Saxon Administrative Reorganization Act.
There have been intermediate state authorities within the Kingdom of Saxony since 1835, which had been then known as “district directorates” and from 1874 “district authorities” and have modified their borders a number of instances over the course of historical past. Within the Third Reich these had been renamed authorities districts. After the Second World Struggle, authorities districts had been initially to be established once more, however this intention was deserted in 1947.
After the dissolution of the states within the GDR in 1952, state districts had been arrange. Till 2008, the executive district of Leipzig coincided spatially with the previous GDR district of Leipzig, except the previous districts of Altenburg and Schmölln, which at present belong to Thuringia.
It was not till the institution of the Free State of Saxony in 1990 that the idea for the formation of latest authorities districts was created. The regional council at the moment was transformed into the state directorate in the midst of the district reform of Saxony in 2008. The realm of the district of Döbeln, which merged into the district of Mittelsachsen, modified to the executive district of Chemnitz.
The President of the State Directorate, Walter Christian Steinbach, retired on Might 31, 2010. Since his inauguration on June 1, 2011, Dietrich Gökelmann, President of the Chemnitz State Directorate, additionally held the capabilities of President of the Dresden and Leipzig State Directorates till the state directorates had been merged into the Saxony State Directorate in March 2012.